Take control of your health the natural way
Dear readers: please note I have no financial gain or affiliations with any companies by endorsing Andreas Moritz’s books. By writing this article, I am simply sharing information.
Contents, jump to:
It’s only until recently did I discover the book written by Andreas Moritz, ‘The Amazing Liver Cleanse. Andreas Moritz was a medical intuitive and practitioner of Ayurveda, Iridology, Shiatsu and Vibrational Medicine. He had a passion for discovering natural methods to reclaim and maintain health and wellbeing – both emotionally, spiritually, and physically. He passed in October 2012 but left an honourable legacy of self-empowerment for all. He also wrote other books such as: Timeless Secrets of Health and Rejuvenation – Breakthrough Medicine for the 21st Century, Timeless Wisdom, Feel Great – Lose Weight Stop Dieting and Start Living, Heal Yourself With Sunlight and (co-authored) Simple Steps to Total Health, just to name a few. Click here for more information.
I can honestly say The Amazing Liver Cleanse it was a real eye-opener for me personally. I believe the information contained within the book may very well be one of the most essential links to health and vitality – important for anyone suffering ill health or disease of any kind. If there is one important health book to add to your bookshelf or e-reader, this is one of them.
In a nutshell, the book identifies gallstones in the liver, and the gallbladder are a major cause of disease and illness. They are not identified by the medical establishment, both orthodox and complimentary, so your doctor won’t tell you about it. These obstructions are especially prevalent in people with chronic illness, and most people have them but just do not know it, nor are they diagnosed by most doctors.
The liver has many important functions; from processing, converting, distributing, and maintaining the body’s fuel supply to being our ‘cleaning station’. If this station is clogged and blocked, it will not be able to carry out the garbage, so to speak. Having gallstones, is like having many blocked pipes, and doing the liver cleanse over time will ensure to unclog these pipes. The liver can now properly do its job and all systems can return to normal.
Andreas Moritz talks about the importance of bile production, which is another important function of the liver. Normal production is 1.6 litres, but many produces just a cup full or less. He states that many digestive issues are caused by lowered bile production, caused by gallstones creating liver congestion.
He also talks more about the importance of eating a low fat and protein diet, advocating a vegan diet for health and longevity. He also talks more about sleep and wake cycles and natural mealtimes. The great thing is he explains why – in relation to how the body and the organs function.
People who have these illnesses are likely to have various gallstones in the liver and gallbladder:
- Low appetite
- Dull pain on the right side
- Duodenal ulcers
- Prostate diseases
- Menstrual and menopausal disorders
- Skin disorder
- Loss of muscle tone
- Pain at the top of a shoulder blade and/or between the shoulder blades
- Tongue that is glossy or coated in white or yellow
- Frozen shoulder
- Headaches and migraines
- Knee problems
- Chronic Fatigue
- MS and MS
- Excessive heat and perspiration in the upper part of the body
- Difficulty sleeping, insomnia
- Hot and cold flushes
- Food cravings
- Difficulty breathing
- Most infections
- Heart disease
- Nausea and vomiting
- Urinary problems
- Problems with vision
- Liver spots
- Excessive weight or wasting
- Dark color under the eyes
- Stiff neck
- Tooth and gum problems
- Numbness and paralysis of legs
- Kidney diseases
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Very greasy hair and hair loss
- Digestive disorders
- Clay-colored stool
- Liver cirrhosis
- High cholesterol
- Brain disorders
- A ‘bilious’ or angry personality
- Other sexual problems
- Hormonal imbalances
- Puffy eyes
- Dizziness and fainting spells
- Strong shoulder and back pain
- Yellowness of the eyes and skin
- Joint diseases
- Cold extremities
- Cuts or wounds that keep bleeding and don’t want heal
- Stiffness of joints and muscles
I strongly recommend buying the book, as he explains more about the liver and the gallbladder, and the way the body, the organs, and the digestive system function in more detail. It will keep you motivated to begin and then follow The Amazing Liver Cleanse through to completion. It will also answer many additional questions you may have.
I have slightly abbreviated and reworded The Amazing Liver Cleanse instructions from the book below
For exact citation, please read the book.
The Amazing Liver Cleanse directions
- Apple juice Six 1-liter (32oz) containers.
If suffering diabetes, hypoglycemia, yeast infection (Candida), cancer and stomach ulcers you can substitute the apple juice with malic acid powder.
- Malic acid (food grade) Note: To keep ratios simple, I would suggest 1 teaspoon of malic acid in 1-liter (32oz) container.
Malic acid book suggestion: 1500—2000mg of malic acid taken with 2 glasses (16oz) of warm water (stated in the book).
There is also an alternative option for both the juice and malic acid, using herbs. See book for this.
- Epsom salts: 4 tablespoons dissolved in three 8-oz glasses of water.
- Virgin olive oil, cold-pressed: One-half glass (4oz).
- Fresh citrus: either fresh grapefruit (pink is best), or fresh lemon and orange combined. Enough citrus to squeeze 2/3 glass of juice.
- 2-pint jars, one with a lid
Preparation for The Liver Cleanse
For 6 days, consume either apple juice in one litre of water or malic acid powder,
The actual Liver Cleanse – the 6th and final day of The Liver Cleanse:
- Eat lightly and avoid sugar or other sweeteners, spices, milk, butter, oils, yogurt, cheese, ham, eggs, nuts, pastries, cold cereals. Do not eat any protein foods, butter, or oil.
- Drink your apple juice before 2 PM. Do not eat or drink anything (except water) after 2 PM
- At 6 PM: Add 4 tablespoons of Epsom Salts to 24oz of filtered water in your pint jar. This will make 4 6oz servings. Drink 6oz (3/4 glass) now.
- At 8 PM: Drink another 6oz of magnesium water.
- At 9.30 PM: If you haven’t had a bowel movement until now and have not done a colon cleanse within 24 hours, take a water enema.
- At 9.45 PM: Squeeze your citrus juice now and remove the pulp. You’ll need ¾ glass of juice (6oz). Measure ½ cup (4oz) of your olive oil. Pour the two into your other jar, close the lid and shake the mixture thoroughly until they are both well combined, or until the solution is very watery. You should drink this mixture ideally at 10pm, but you can delay for up to 10 minutes if you feel you still need to go to the bathroom.
- At 10 PM: Stand next to your bed (do not sit down) and drink the concoction, if possible, straight. Some people prefer to drink it through a large plastic straw. If necessary, take a little honey between sips, which helps chase down the mixture. Most people, though, have no problem drinking it straight. Do not take more than 5 minutes for this (only elderly or weak people may take longer).
LIE DOWN STRAIGHT AWAY! This is essential for helping to release the gallstones! Turn off the lights and lie flat on your back with 1-2 pillows propping you up. Your head should be higher than the abdomen. If this is uncomfortable lie on your right side with your knees pulled towards your head. Lie perfectly still for at least 20 minutes and try not to speak! Put your attention on your liver. You may even feel the stones traveling along the bile ducts like marbles. There won’t be any pain because the magnesium in the Epsom salts keeps the bile duct valves wide open and relaxed, and the bile that is excreted along with the stones keeps the bile ducts well lubricated (this is very different in the case of a gallbladder attack where magnesium and bile are not present). Go to sleep if you can. If at any time during the night you feel the urge to have a bowel movement, do so. Check if there are already small gallstones (pea green or tan colored ones) floating in the toilet. You may feel nauseous during the night and/or in the early morning hours. This is mostly due to a strong, sudden outpouring of gallstones and toxins from the liver and gallbladder, pushing the oil mixture back into the stomach. Any nausea will pass as the morning progresses.
The following morning
- At 6-6.30 AM: Upon wakening, take your third 6 oz (3/4 glass) of Epsom salts. If you feel thirsty, drink a warm glass of water before taking the Epsom salts. You can go back to sleep if you feel tired, keeping your body in an upright position whilst resting. You may do other relaxing activities such as meditation or yoga or light exercise if you feel up to it.
- At 8-8.30 AM: Drink your fourth and final 6oz (3/4 glass) of Epsom salts.
- At 10-10.30 AM: You may drink fresh fruit juice. Half hour later, you may eat 1-2 pieces of fresh fruit. Continue to eat lightly during the following days.
Complete a colonic irrigation ideally on the 2nd or 3rd day after the liver flush.
You should repeat The Liver Cleanse 6-8 times (or more than 10-12 in severe cases) to completely rid of the stones. The cleanse should thereafter be repeated every 6 months to give a further boost to the liver and take care of accumulated toxins. They should be undertaken with breaks in-between; in two-week, three-week or monthly intervals.
It is a good idea to also do a kidney cleanse using specific herbs, outlined further in the book. In some cases, it may be wise to do a kidney cleanse before you start the liver cleanse.
2 glasses = 16 fl oz
1 glass = 8 fl oz
½ glass = 4 fl oz
¾ glass = 6 fl oz
- Stay away from cold or chilled food or beverages.
- Avoid foods from animal sources, dairy products and fried foods.
- Avoid alcohol and stimulants such as coffee, tea and chocolate.
- Avoid overeating.
- Start the Liver Cleanse when you are under the least amount of pressure and can take time to rest.
- Start the Liver Cleanse at least 5-6 days before the new moon.
- Avoid taking medications, vitamins, or supplements during the Liver Cleanse.
- Undertake colon irrigation or enemas ideally before and most importantly after the Liver Cleanse.
- Drink 1.5 – 2 litres of water each day.
- Never cleanse when you are a suffering an acute illness.
How I did my first Liver Cleanse
After reading the book, I ordered an at home enema kit and malic acid powder. I have never done an enema before, but it is easy enough once you do it one or two times. Colonic irrigation may be the best option if you can easily get it done according to Andreas Moritz, but I chose to do one at home. I find it is easy enough to do and convenient because you do not need to travel anywhere or book in an appointment. It can easily be done in the comfort of your own home. I had completed 3 coffee enemas before I started with the malic acid intake over 6 days.
What I used for The Liver Cleanse:
- A home enema kit – my kit is completely made from silicon.
- 1 tsp malic acid in 1 litre of water. Sipping on water and malic acid is easy enough to do in the morning and throughout the day.
Note: I no longer use capsules as I have discovered on the website that they are not recommended by Andreas Moritz. He states they are unsuitable for The Liver Cleanse and do not assimilate as well within the body as the malic acid would, when dissolved in a glass of water.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Fresh citrus: you could use grapefruit, oranges, or lemons to make 6 oz (3/4 glass). I used a combination of two oranges and one lemon.
- Food grade Epsom salts: you will need 4 tablespoons for day 6 of The Liver Cleanse in 24oz of filtered water.
Instructions and findings
Getting ready for the Liver Cleanse
Before I even began The Liver Cleanse, I had done a coffee enema 3 times at home. This is quite easy to do, and I chose a silicon re-usable bag enema kit. The silicon ensures no chemicals are leached and is also able to withstand ozone well. Then I did 2 rounds in each session, using 2 cups of filtered water with 1 tsp of coffee. I found it to be a relaxing experience once I got the hang of it and I really felt ‘clean’ on the inside as an after effect.
Then I started taking my malic acid filled capsules for 6 days. I took 3 capsules with 8oz (a glass) of water. I did this twice, one in the early morning and then one in the afternoon, when I felt my digestive was at its peak.
Note: I no longer use capsules but take 1 tsp of malic acid in one litre of water over the six-day period instead. I also simplified my diet whilst on the Liver Cleanse. I lowered my fat and protein intake, didn’t overeat and didn’t eat past 2pm. Not eating past 6 pm is advised as a general rule. It’s not a rule to finish eating after 2 pm during The Liver Cleanse, except for day 6. Not eating after 2 pm is important to ensure you don’t feel nauseous later in the evening. I ate mostly fresh fruit, salads, and vegetables. I also aimed to drink at least 1 ½ – 2 litres of water per day, in addition to the water you drink with the malic acid capsules.
On the day of the Liver Cleanse (6th day)
I ate a light breakfast and lunch and didn’t eat past 2 pm. I had my morning lemon juice with fruit and a bit of oatmeal shortly after. For lunch I had a green salad with peas, spinach, and quinoa without added fats. I took my malic acid capsules before this time.
At 5.30 pm: I prepared my bottle of water and Epsom salts. You will need 24 oz of water and 4 tablespoons of Epsom salts. Shake bottle thoroughly until the salts are dissolved.
At 6 pm: I took my first 6 oz (3/4 glass) of magnesium water. Warning – this stuff is bitter! It was a bit hard to ingest but if you take sips of plain or lemon/citrus water in between, it is much easier to chug it down. If it gets hard, remind yourself why you are doing it all and that all of this is worth it for good health!!
At 8 pm I took my second serving of Epsom salts.
At 9.30 pm: I did go to the toilet once prior, so I didn’t need to do a colon cleanse. It was time to prepare the final drink required to complete the Liver Cleanse. I prepared it by squeezing two oranges and one lemon by hand and then straining the pulp. It reached 6 oz (3/4 glass) perfectly. I put the juice in a jar and added 4 oz (1/2 glass) of olive oil. I shook the jar vigorously until the mixture looked watery. I took the jar and a straw to my bedroom.
At 10 pm: I stood beside my bed and drank the mixture. I thought it would taste horrible, but actually I didn’t mind its zesty taste. I took it down pretty quickly. Then I laid in bed with extra pillows propping me up and tried to remain silent for at least 20 minutes with the lights off. Although I must say this part is a little difficult when your kids haven’t fallen asleep yet! I can honestly say that I didn’t really feel any stones being released. I didn’t really feel anything different.
During the night I felt uncomfortable mostly because of acid reflux. This would happen to me even if I ate anything before I went to sleep. I did have to go to the toilet once during the night. I slept with the extra pillows propping me up during the night.
The next morning, I woke at 7.30 am and I took my third 6 oz (3/4 glass) of magnesium. Ugh not pleasant first thing in the morning, I did feel slightly queasy at this time. I felt like I needed a herbal tea to settle my stomach and to sip in-between.
10 am: I took my final glass of magnesium. I was happy that it was over (at least for the magnesium part) About half and hour after, I had some chopped fruit in a bowel. It felt nourishing being able to eat again.
2 pm: I had a light lunch of veggies and quinoa. I chose not to eat again later that day. Then I waited until 4 pm to do a coffee enema. By this time, I felt ‘clean’ and felt satisfied that I completed the Liver Cleanse.
Warning! Pics to come are gross…
click off now if squeamish
Did I release stones? Yes, I most certainly did. I tell you they don’t look pleasant floating in the toilet. They looked bright green with bits in them. There were maybe a couple of hundred of them ranging from slightly larger than a pea to very small In size. Although it’s pretty gross just thinking about it, I felt satisfied that I knew that the Liver Cleanse actually did work and that I hopefully was on the road to optimal health and digestion.
I can say that a few days after the Liver Cleanse, I did feel extra tired. A relaxed tired, like my limbs were heavy like lead. Perhaps this is the continuing process of detoxification, a sign that the body is healing? In the book, Andreas Moritz. states that in rare cases, the stones may continue to pass out of the liver and cause discomfort. If headaches or nausea occurs in the days following, he recommends 4oz of apple juice ½ hour before breakfast, (or a smaller amount of malic acid) before breakfast for 7 consecutive days. Drinking ionized water and doing a colon cleanse may be necessary in the following days after the Liver Cleanse to clear out remaining stones and remove any circulating toxins.
This was my first cleanse; I will continue to update my results and experiences with each cleanse on this page.
My second Liver Cleanse
I waited 3 weeks before I started my second cleanse. This time around, I struggled a bit more with nausea, especially with the magnesium. I found out that malic acid is best taken in 1 litre of water, rather than capsules on Andreas Moritz’s website, so I took 1 litre of water with 1 tsp of malic acid instead.
I didn’t have as many stones coming out this time, around about half as much as the first cleanse. Once again, I felt tired a few days after, and I also felt a lot of emotional release/turmoil stuff was releasing. I think it’s a good idea to do the cleanse when you can find the time to relax and meditate.
My third Liver Cleanse
My third cleanse was a little more difficult than the first two because I felt more nausea during the night and acid reflux which made for an uncomfortable sleep. The cleanse was successful because there were still quite a few stones which came out, some of them being quite large and brown in colour on the outside which would be the gallstones according to Andreas Moritz. There were smaller green ones too. I did feel sick for a few days after, and I caught a slight cold and felt more tired than usual, but I regained my energy within a few days and felt better again. I am feeling as though my body is getting stronger and am more resistant to food allergies.
My fourth Liver Cleanse
My fourth Liver Cleanse was more manageable, as I felt as though I had a good handle of the whole process. Still being a challenge, were the magnesium drinks and handling the oil and citrus mixture during the night. The results were a little surprising as I had expected there to be a lot more stones coming out. I only saw about ten small floating green liver stones, but nothing larger. Andreas Moritz says one should do at least six Liver Cleanses, but apparently is best to do up to ten. Does this mean I do not have many remaining to be removed? Or perhaps I still have more that have come to the forefront ready to remove for next time? I will keep going and find out.
I have been syncing the Liver Cleanses with Kai (author of SBL) which makes it easier for both of us to handle. Teamwork really helps to get through the whole process.
So far, I have been getting really good results, and I am finding my breathing is getting much, much better, my need for asthma prescription medicine during the night has decreased significantly. My food allergies and tolerances to food are getting way better.
I am now taking a small break to complete the Kidney Cleanse also outlined in the book, using a specific mix of herbs. These herbs are recommended by Andreas Moritz to clean out kidney stones. I will be writing more about our experience in an article to come. After the Kidney Cleanse, I will be getting back to my fifth Liver Cleanse. Keep watching this page for updates.
I hope this article was of benefit to you. If you have a cleansing story, you want to share, post below on send with photos through on our contact us page – we would love to hear from you. Thanks for reading and happy cleansing!